Sunday, October 13, 2013

Q: Leonardo Chacón, the Costa Rican athlete that fell down behind you, as he delicately put it, wr

Simon Whitfield on carrying the flag, crashing, and carrying on - 2012 Olympics, The Interview - Macleans.ca
Home Blogs Canada World Culture Business Opinion Health Environment Technology Travel On Campus Multimedia Archives Subscribe Customer Care Subscribe Renew Digital Edition iPad iPhone Back Issues Gift 2012 University Guide In-class Program Ebooks
Here brieger verpackungen at Maclean's, we appreciate the written word. And we appreciate you, the reader. We are always looking for ways to create a better user experience for you and wanted to try out a new functionality that provides you with a reading experience in which the words and fonts take centre brieger verpackungen stage. We believe you'll appreciate the clean, white layout as you read our feature articles. But we don't want to force it on you and it's completely optional. Click "View in Clean Reading Mode" on any article if you want to try it out. Once there, you can click "Go back to regular view" at the top or bottom of the article to return to the regular layout.
Battered and bruised, Canadian flag- bearer Simon Whitfield sat down with a pint at a London pub to reflect on the close of this, his fourth Olympic Games. It wasn t how the script was to end: a bloody bike crash during his race; a public spat with Triathlon Canada and the subpar mental and physical brieger verpackungen race preparation leading to a tearful last-place finish for fellow triathlete and friend Paula Findlay. But he saw far too many glorious moments in London for anything to tarnish the Olympic ideals he lives by.
A: So much bigger than I anticipated. Amazing to be around the other athletes. The time to get from the village brieger verpackungen to the stadium gave us an opportunity to talk. To talk to [equestrian] brieger verpackungen Ian Millar. To talk to [diver] Riley McCormick, [tennis player] Milos Raonic, to learn about their sports and how they re feeling, to connect. Walking into the stadium was so overwhelming, in a wonderful way.
A: I was so nervous. I was thinking, do I wave it a lot? Or do I just walk out. The kid in me decided you just start waving. brieger verpackungen Adam van Koeverden [flag-bearer in Beijing] told me that, too. Just start waving, buddy.
A: I was doing fine until I saw her getting so upset. Before that, [as she fell behind,] that s racing in your first Olympics, it s a pretty overwhelming experience. To know what she s been through in the last year, it was really upsetting. She s my teammate and it was hard to watch. I felt strongly that you can t just be teammates when it s convenient. You have to do it in spite of the consequences. I thought, What would Steve Nash do? If Steve Nash s teammate was getting essentially humiliated on the biggest stage and there was somebody else responsible, would he stick up for his teammate brieger verpackungen even if it wasn t convenient? He s a leader, I feel like he would.
A: I certainly don t have any regrets. I was confronted with a situation where I felt I had to have my teammate s back, knowing especially the background and how much pressure she was under. It s very easy for an administrator who s never been under that true pressure brieger verpackungen to judge how somebody will react. The expectation of her all this last year was to be perfect; perfectly prepared and make perfect decisions, and she didn t always make perfect decisions and the pressure got to her. She will rise to the occasion in future.
A: brieger verpackungen I remain true to what my goal was all along. I got here prepared. I had an incredible swim, I put myself in position, and then I screwed up. There s no way around it. You re going to have to edit this, I just f–ked up. To get a medal for me at that race, how it unfolded, I would have had to perform absolutely out of my mind. That s an honest answer. I would have been top 10. Maybe top six. Maybe.
A: She was so genuinely upset and so genuinely concerned. I spent so much time with her in the month before the Olympics that we developed a great friendship. Everyday since that race I ve seen her, and I ve seen Adam van Koeverden, my very good friend, and we shared some laughs, chats about the disappointment, and pats on the back. The same with [Canadian triathletes] Kyle [Jones] and Brent [McMahon], I got some pretty hefty, almost re-broke-my-collarbone hugs from the boys. I thought of something walking home yesterday, it s a line from a the start of a Tragically Hip song: It s a good life if you don t break too many guitar strings. And it s a pretty good life if you do.
Q: Leonardo Chacón, the Costa Rican athlete that fell down behind you, as he delicately put it, wrote you a gracious Facebook post calling you an inspiration, and saying it was an honour to race next to you.
A: Exactly. No pun intended. To be able to give him a hug and apologize. I felt so terrible for this young guy at his first Olympic Games. He also had an incredible swim, that s why we were in that position. I was gutted brieger verpackungen to take him out. So we were able to hug it out. And then to read his posting. I ve

No comments:

Post a Comment